We were first introduced to Yebo during a tasting event and immediately was intrigued by the various cultural influences that was infused in the food. Flavors of German, Portuguese, Spanish and Indian spices are featured in several of their dishes. Majority of their menu items are heavy small plates. Each can be shared or considered for a mini entree. The idea is to try a little of this and that and take your tastebuds on a trip of traditional South Africa.
A few of the signature dishes that shine above the rest are the bobotie bread bowl, lollipop lamb and ostrich sliders. The bobotie bread bowl is sauteed ground beef in a spicy curry sauce with raisins, carrots and apples in a traditional South African bread bowl and topped with a fried egg and cracked pepper. The flavors of Indian, Mediterranean, and Spanish influences are prevalent in the bobotie filling and also pair well on top of their kale salad. Bursts of spice from the curry and sweetness from the raisins and apple make this a favorite dish of the menu. A great side or starter to your meal is the air-popped popcorn with peri peri salt. It is served with fresh gratings of parmesan and sprinkled with dried herbs and peri peri salt (a South African seasoning).
The customer service and hospitality that the staff provides is beyond exceptional. No matter the day or event, the staff ensures that you are well taken care of and they go above and beyond to make your experience a pleasant one.
Yebo has a warm and chic ambiance for a date night but also creates a casual and relaxing environment on the patio with live music on Sundays and bottomless mimosas. This place has a little bit of this and that with a touch of class!
We give Yebo a well-deserved 6 diamonds out of 7 rating.
Table Salt and Sea Salt
The different varieties of salt available for cooking can be dizzying, but all of them fall into four basic types: table salt, sea salt, kosher salt and rock salt. The first three types are food-grade salt and are required by the FDA to contain at least 97.5 percent sodium chloride. The other 2.5 percent is trace minerals, chemicals from processing or anti-caking agents.
Table salt is either iodized or noniodized. Iodine was first added to salt in the mid-1920s to combat an epidemic of hyperthyroidism, an enlargement of the thyroid gland caused by hormonal irregularities due to lack of iodine. Children without sufficient iodine intake can also experience stunted physical and mental growth. Few people suffer from iodine deficiency in North America, although it is still a problem around the world. In some areas, fluoride and folic acid are also common salt additives.
Table salt is the most commonly used salt. It is processed to remove impurities and contains non clumping agents like calcium phosphate. Because it has a fine texture, table salt is easy to measure and mixes evenly.
Sea salt is generally more expensive than table salt because of how it's harvested. "Fleur de sel" (French for "flower of salt"), for example, is scraped by hand from the surface of evaporation ponds. Some sea salts are not as heavily processed as table salt, so they retain trace minerals that are usually removed in the refining process. Sea salt can be coarse, fine or flaky. It can be white, pink, black, gray or a combination of colors, depending on where it comes from and which minerals it contains.
Some pink salts, such as the salt harvested in the Himalayas, get their color from calcium, magnesium, potassium, copper and iron, Others contain carotene from salt-tolerant algae and are more peach-colored. Reddish-pink salts, such as Hawaiian alaea salt, have iron oxide added in the form of volcanic clay.
Black salt is often really more of a dark pinkish-gray color. One Indian variety contains sulfurous compounds, iron and other trace minerals and has a strong, sulfuric taste. Hawaiian black lava salt is darker and contains traces of charcoal and lava.
The color of gray salt comes from trace minerals or from the clay where it is harvested, such as the damp, unrefined "sel gris" harvested on the coast of France. Smoked salt is also grayish and is a fairly new offering among the gourmet varieties of salt. It is smoked over wood fires and gives a smoky flavor to dishes seasoned with it.
Some gourmands argue that the higher amounts of trace minerals can give sea salts a unique, earthy flavor. Others say that the taste is about the same but that their different colors and textures can add a lot to presentation. In general, sea salts are used to top or "finish" a dish rather than during cooking.